Friday, December 4, 2009

Digitally Enhanced Thoughts.

It came to me, a notion of how super-advanced our editing capabilities are today.  We can swifty and almost mindlessly edit videos, emails, songs, Facebook entries, Word docs and "Twits" (is that what we do on Twitter?). But when it comes to my thoughts, I figure, at the rate they've been entertaining my life all these years, I've somehow regressed to a recording studio circa 1970 - sing sing sing (thought thought thought), record, splice splice and forever splicing miles of reel-to-reel tape. Wait! Does that make me a "Splice Girl"? Sorry, that was easy.  Anyhow, no wonder I don't have a minute to process and absorb any of the relevant information passing through my brain waves.  I'm always operating from the cutting room floor instead of the wave file which is so easily nudged left or right, cleaned up with the move of a mouse. Now, some of this imagery may not compute to those of you who haven't been in the recording studio, or who aren't computer savvy, but my point is this: if I were able to edit my thoughts in a way that doesn't discount them (or delete them), spend minimal time listening back and reviewing, I could end up with a real concise piece of information - what I choose to do with that information is entirely up to me - but at least there isn't so much editing process (milling over and over ... and over) in my poor tired little brain.  And the bonus is that I can file away that digitally edited nugget in a sweet little folder.  Probably never to be seen or heard of again, but at least the process power was way worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment